Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Orientation/training

Cailin and I feel like we have many unanswered questions...but we hoped that our orientation would be our suspicion to rest! We had our program coordinator introduce herself, talk about the rules and such of the ecohouse and then go into detail about what the next 4 weeks will entail. The first week is orientation week where we get to go to many different provinces in the region and see many temples and other sorts of sightseeing. The 2nd week is culture week, where we get to see temples in more detail, talk with monks, learn alot about Buddhism, and get some Thai cooking classes. The 3rd week is trekking, which includes biking and hiking all over. The last week is beach week, in which we mostly get free time at some beaches, but then have a day to do snorkling, diving, etc. Unfortunately, Cailin and I weren't sure if we got to do the last 2 weeks, because we are supposed to get our TEFL(teaching english as a foreign language) training during that time. I'm going to see what I can do to participate in the trekking and beaching!
We stopped at a place on the river for lunch that first day of orientation, where they had an amazing spread of thai food....along with some chicken tenders and fries! Hilarious!


Then we stopped at this lady's bead shop where we got to make bracelets for ourselves. My creative gene was in hiding that day I think!
Day 2 of orientation. We took off in the morning and drove over an hour and toured many gorgeous old temples and ruins in the old capitol of Thailand. I saw some of the most humungous(sp?) Buddahs ever! (again, pictures will follow....speaking of....can anyone help me figure out how you post pictures on a blog?). After a quick lunch, I got to cross off one of my goals for my trip.....I got to ride an elephant!! It was 500 baht to ride (roughly $15), and I had no question in my mind as to whether or not I was going to do it. When I climbed up the stairs to the platform where we get on the elephant, I froze! My stomach was upside down with fright! I finally forced myself to get on the giant creature. I held pretty darn tight to the chair thing we sat in, for fear of falling off! It was quite the experience. Scary. Exhilarating. Breath-taking. And saddening.




 Watching the people beforehand do all of these tricks with the elephants, made me think that there isn't good treatment. The guy had this elephant put a bunch of hula hoops on his trunk, he gave him a harmonica to play while the elephant basically tapped his feet and danced. It was a bit disturbing.


We also visited another temple in which our guide showed us the proper procedure when you come in, and how you bow to Buddah. Then, you make a wish, and have a container fulls of sticks with numbers on them, and you shake the container until one stick falls out. There is a number on the stick, and you take it to someone else, who then gives you a fortune of sorts, or something that says what the future or present holds. If it doesn't say something good, you are to throw it away. This is what mine read..."Beware of the past and be careful of any affairs. Seek advice from elderly and follow old beliefs. Sickness will be recovered. Issues are still not settled. Fortune is found as you expected. Relatives welcome your visit. You will meet your loved one in the near future." Hmmmm......
We also stopped by this elephant farm place, where this rich guy basically buys elephants that would otherwise be killed or abandoned or abused. These are also the same elephants that we rode. I was told there are over 100 elephants on the farm. We got to observe 2 young boys take an elephant to the river to give him a bath. It was quite the site! There was a baby elephant there that was 8 days old....it was adorable!!!


The last crazy thing that we did today is we had supper on this boat, which went down the river as we ate. About half way through our meal...the music started. Yes it's true....we had kareoke on the boat! I could not believe the songs they were playing. Just ridiculous, cheesy songs from America. I had to pinch myself to make sure this was actually happening! Some of the other gals sang some Brittney Spears song. I thought to myself...could I really pass up an opportunity like this to sing kareoke on a boat floating down a river in a foreign country? I think not! What was my choice? Killing me softly of course! It was a tough selection.

4 comments:

  1. Lacey! I love reading your day to day adventures!!! This will make for a great book someday! Love you always, god bless and stay safe! xoxo Natalie

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey lacer! here's how you post photos:

    http://www.google.com/support/blogger/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=41641

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey if you are taking cooking lessons, you will have to whip up something for Chris & I when you return to the states!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my gosh that sounds soooo awesome!!!! I wanna go trekking and beaching with you! I'm so excited for you to have such an adventure. I understand having moments of craziness in the heat but remember, for you, the heat WILL disperse. Unless you're gonna live in Thailand for the rest of your life! You have many many South Dakota winters to experience down the road. So enjoy the heat for this Minnesota friend. We're freezing our butts off here. Keep writing on your blog, you know we'll all be checking it daily! :) -Rachel C

    ReplyDelete