Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Our new home...the ups and downs!

First off, we had a wonderful chance to explore Bangkok this past weekend. It started by our cab driver almost yelling at my friend in the backseat, that she can't put her seatbelt on! It was quite humorous....I mean, but not humorous in the fact that people drive crazy there and we should be wearing our seatbelts!

They have almost any type of food you could want in Bangkok, and we chose a fantastic middle eastern restaurant. We almost couldn't get a seat b/c it was so packed. And the restaurant next door? One table. The whole weekend we were there we got to enjoy some excellent live music. It was kind of bizarre because they played Thai music mixed in with alot of cover band songs! We stayed on Koh San Road, which is insane.  I think it is buzzing every hour of the day! It's very touristy....which for the beginning of our trip is nice so that we can meet people, but after a while I heard it gets old. "She-men" are all over in Thailand, especially in Bangkok. I was trying to ask a friend why that is so huge here...but we weren't able to figure it out. I find it quite interesting.

The day had finally come where we moved into our new house that the school was providing for us! We were excited but also sad to leave all our friends at the Ecohouse. We dropped all our stuff off before school and then after school Pat & James took us to Tesco (the big Wal-Mart!), to buy groceries and such. When we got home, the first task was to clean the kitchen a bit (yes, it was supposed to be cleaned before we moved it, but we didn't think it was sufficient!). After James and Pat left we realized the water didn't work so they had to come back to turn it on for us. They had given us a new table and chairs, which will be nice if we ever have company!                                                                                                                                  
The house had hot showers, flushing toilets...I
mean, what more could a person ask for! One
 of the downfalls though....our beds.  I think
there might be cement in them because they
are as hard as a rock! That first night, I laid
down on my rock bed and instantly noticed
 that a full moon was shining down on me
from the window.  It made me feel at ease.
 I was excited to make this my "home" for
the next year.  (Well some A/C would help
 too!).  The next day at school we got our first
paycheck! Also, the director of the school
bought us bikes.  It was a very exciting day!
 I'm not used to riding with a helmut...but as
I mentioned earlier about the crazy drivers
and traffic....a helmut is a must! I attempted
 to cook our 1st supper last night. At first I
thought it would be a disaster, but I think it
 turned out quite well and was even kind of tasty!
We also attempted to do laundry in our "fancy" washer!
Okay, so it's not so fancy...it doesn't even have a lid!
Here is the protocol: you fill the washer up manually...
put your detergent in, turn the dial so it spins or washes
for 15 minutes, drain the washer, manually fill it back
up (while kind of rinsing your clothes), and then let it
spin again for 10-15 minutes, and then drain it again.
We don't have a dryer, so you have to squeeze all the water out of your clothes and then hang them up to dry!!

This is our living room, with our lovely wooden couch and TV that has only Thai channels!

This next picture is my bedroom. If you are looking closely, the answer to your question is YES, I do have a spider man comforter, and the sheets have cute little animals on them! Beggers can't be choosers!



1 comment:

  1. Lacey - I am familar with this laundry protocol...that's how I had to do it when I lived in Australia. It's hell on your clothes...they seem to wear to faster and get misshaped from the "wringing out." Looks like a pretty good place though...I'll be expecting you to cook me some authentic Thai when I get there!

    ReplyDelete