Monday, August 2, 2010

Cambodia Part 2

In Cambodia they have the kiel as currency but also use the US dollar. I think they actually use the US dollar more than the kiel because at every restaurant, hotel, shop, etc, they all had prices in only dollars. Cambodia in general seemed quite poor. I would assume that a huge part of what they live off of is the tourism. Something interesting that I saw, which I also see constantly in Thailand, is people sweeping the streets or sidewalks with these tiny brooms. I feel that would be an endless job because the leaves and dust would be constantly reappearing!
This was one little child, of MANY, that harrassed me to buy their goods. Instead I told him I wanted a picture of him, which he was quite excited about!
He was even more excited when I asked him to take a picture of me! (It wasn't quite the angle I was going for...but not too bad for a 6 year old!).
A woman pointed out an amazing ring that was around the sun.
Don't worry, I didn't look straight at the sun to get this picture! I just aimed and fired! Not too bad though!
Along the way there are shops after shops and endless women and children constantly yelling, "Lady, lady! Hey lady! You buy from me! You want to buy this, you want to buy that...(I say, no thank you!)....okay well you come back and you remember me and you buy from me, okay?" It was non stop. And of course in your heart you feel bad like you should buy from them because you know that you are more well off than them.
These two ladies have their hands placed for a Thai dance. (I sat in during music class at school a few times, that's how I know!)
Some of the trees have started to take possession of the ruins.
On my second day I awoke to a nice, cool rain! What a beautiful day to walk around outside! I actually didn't mind it because it was surprisingly a bit cool out!
I got to practice my Khmer on the ride out to the ruins!
I saw no tractors while riding through the country....only the old fashion plows pulled by cows! It seemed as though all the people I passed were either working very hard, doing physical labor, or they seemed to be just sitting around. I have found this quite normal in southeast Asia. Maybe they work in shifts!
I'm glad I decided to go out to this temple that was quite a way out because I got to soak in alot of countryside and see alot of local people and villages. This next picture shows a common site along the road of people selling their goods. Unfortunately every stand is the exact same. Sometimes I didn't like passing the villagers because I felt that they were probably just thinking, "Oh there is another wealthy foreigner passing by." And I had this feeling that they also thought I was judging them.
You see alot of "organization" like this at these kinds of stores. Just stuff everywhere!
A typical home of a villager...made out of everything you see around you.
Cambodian People's Party: their goal is to fight against poverty and they feel that rural development is the key to their success.
One quick story to end...I met this middle aged English man, who once he found out I was from South Dakota said, "Oh I've been to Dakota!" (Strike one: we are not one...we ARE separate states!). He then said, "I found it quite boring, there is really nothing to do there." (Strike 2!). Following that he said, "I don't know why anyone would want to go there." (Strike 3!). This fellow was lucky I am pacifist!

No comments:

Post a Comment