Monday, August 2, 2010

Cambodia Part 3

There were alot of small children that I saw while in Cambodia, doing what this little girl was doing....whatever she wanted! Just walking around at her own leisure, no parent in sight! I saw alot of children running around in the countryside as we were driving, or even in Siem Reap and there were not hardly any that had shoes on...and there were alot that barely had alot of clothes on.
This was the woman's temple called Bantrey Srei. It was definitely the most beautiful because of the red coloring and the detailed design.
The "guards" of the temple. It reminded me of an Indiana Jones movie for some reason!
I don't think this guy realized he was flashing everyone!
On the ride back I got the chance to stop at this landmine museum, which is a non-profit organization that shares the story of landmine victims, it helps house landmine victims and it's main goal is to safely find and discharge landmines that are scattered throughout the countryside that get mistakenly found by farmers or children.
This is the man who started the museum. He has a very interesting story. He says he doesn't know when he was born....and was given a gun at 10 years old and was a child soldier for the Khmer Rouge. He planted thousands of landmines in his day until he realized all the harm they caused. He then decided his mission in life would be to help clear all of these landmines. So he started this museum to help landmine victims. Underneath his picture are many landmines he's safely removed.
A painting by one of the landmine vicitms that stays at his shelter.
This is a very common site around southeast Asia.
Children have to learn balancing skills at a very young age!
I was saddened by how young some of these children seemed. The girl in white can't be more than 4. All of these little kids spoke good English. They could ask where you are from, what your name is, and some could even tell you that the capital of the USA is Washington DC! Alot of children were selling 10 postcards for $1. They would count out the postcards to you and tell you what they were each of.
Why not make it even and have one kid on the front and one on the back!
You think 4 is something on a motorbike? The most I've seen is 5!
Even though this was a very short trip to Cambodia (about 2 and a half days!), I enjoyed my time there and learned alot. I wish to know more about the Khmer Rouge and the killing fields. I remember reading that they would kill anyone of status or intelligence. Even wearing glasses was a sign of intelligence and could have cost you your life.
I woke up early and took a train back to Bangkok...it was a long 6 hours! It was beautiful scenery and I had the wind blowing in my face the whole time! Unfortunately the seats they have, that face each other, are made for smaller people then myself! My long legs were definitely over my "half" of the floor space! During the whole 6 hours I also got to enjoy all the "lovely" smells of Thailand! I fear when I get home my nose will just be bored!

No comments:

Post a Comment