Saturday, January 22, 2011

Enjoying the countryside of Vietnam...


On my one weekend in Dalat, Phuong took me around the countryside to see some sights. She brought a few friends with her and we enjoyed the day together. 
 Walking up to the top of a mountain to see a big Buddha.
She bought some sugarcane juice for me that was freshly squeezed that was quite tasty! 
 On my last day in Dalat, Phuong took me out for lunch and we chatted for hours. We talked about everything from boys to teaching!  She said that in Vietnam it is the teachers who get in trouble when the students misbehave because they are responsible for the kids and if they are not behaving it is because the teachers don’t have control of their classroom. She told me that it is only the homeroom teachers that can hit the students or talk to the parents about the students. Since Phuong teaches English (not a main subject) she can’t do either of those things.  I was sad to hear her say that the reason she isn’t married or doesn’t think she’ll be married, is because she can’t trust the men because they are all unfaithful, which I have heard is a common thing in Southeast Asia. I have also found that it seems as though men can do whatever they want in this part of the world….drink, smoke, not work, etc…but the woman aren’t supposed to indulge in these vices and you always see them working very hard!
 Here is a statue that symbolizes mother and father.
Enjoying some sweet corn!
At a big flower garden standing by the Vietnam flag made of poinsettias.
Pouring some tea...
Some country women in Vietnam taking a break from work.

No comments:

Post a Comment