Friday, January 14, 2011

The beauty of Vietnam...

I was very excited to be back in Vietnam because the first time I was there I thoroughly enjoyed myself! At the beginning of my time there I did a bit of traveling with the girls I had traveled with in India, Megan and Brittany and then a new gal Suzanna.  The crew was back together again and I was looking forward to the good times to be had!  We found ourselves in Dalat, Vietnam, a nice little agricultural town up in the mountains. The weather was nice and cool and refreshed my soul!
Here was a gigantic chicken that greeted us in the countryside!

Here is a local boy who was out gathering the reject produce to take home to his family.

The hotel we stayed in the first couple days was magnificent! The breakfast was something to write home about! A spread of baguettes, eggs, fruit of any kind, tea, coffee, juice, ham, bacon, yogurt....we ate until our hearts content every morning! To truly enjoy the countryside we rented motorbikes to cruise through the stunning landscape of gigantic mountains and deep, lush valleys.
 We twisted and turned around the curves lining the mountains. It was magnificent and I was truly in heaven! Total we had 1 flat tire, 4 crashes (3 Brittany, 1 Megan), and 1 break down, which I will claim! 

We met these 3 guys who were motorbiking from Hanoi down to Saigon....and their stories made me 2nd guess ever taking malaria pills again! The one guy crashed his bike because he had a seizure from his malaria pills! 
A humble abode.....
We rode a total of 275 kilometers over 2 days! My soul was at peace, I had not a care in the world because I was out in God's great, amazing, spectacular beauty!
The Vietnamese LOVE their coffee and they are darn good at making it! Here are some coffee beans after harvest and then a stiff cup of joe!
After our amazing 2 day motorbike ride, we did a 70km bicycle ride to Mui Ne, Vietnam. Thank goodness this was mostly down hill through the mountains! Again, the view I found in front of my eyes was astounding. It reminded me that for me to be at my happiest, I need to be outside in nature!
I had an interesting conversation with Megan that night about growing up going to a Catholic School. She said that it was full of hypocrites. In class, the teachers did not encourage participation, but instead to just soak in and regurgitate everything they had said.  Megan said that she would get in trouble for asking questions! It was questions that we should be thinking about....we need to think for ourselves and not take everything we hear as truth.  One question she got in trouble for was about how the earth was able to increase the population when Adam and Eve had 2 sons and 1 killed the other one? There is no mention in the Bible of God creating another woman or more people...it just goes on to say that Cain was married. This was something I had never thought about and that I found quite interesting.
I'll end with a picture of a big and happy buddha!

1 comment:

  1. Lacey, I would love to hear more about this coffee. Is that cream in the bottom of the cup, beneath that contraption. I have been laying off my coffee lately- I might be a new woman when you get back.

    ReplyDelete