Friday, June 11, 2010

Hot, hot, hot....

We flew from Saigon to Phuket, one of Thailands southern islands. The hotel we stayed at in Phuket City was the hotel where part of "The Beach" was filmed. We actually could have stayed in room number 38, the same room from the movie, but decided against it! We didn't get to spend too much time in Phuket and moved on to Ko Phi Phi island. We decided to make the trek up to this famous view point....and it was quite the trek let me tell you! I don't suggest trekking when it is 100 degrees outside! I do have to say that the view were worth it though! Absolutely stunning.
This picture is just the beginning of what this trek entailed!
The crisp, clear color of the water continued to amaze me.
This is a picture that was taken right after the tsunami from the point we were standing at. It's hard to see but the damage is incredible. The whole trek up you could see spots that were the remains of or caused because  of the tsunami.
In Ko Phi Phi we did a little overnight boat trip/camping excursion. We made a stop and got to get out and do some snorkeling. I had never snorkled before so it was pretty neat. I was surrounded by these little fish and the locals who were in charge of the boat kept throwing pieces of bread near me to hear me squeal because all the fish were attcking me! The water was so clear and stunning and it was neat to see this under water world.
They stopped the boat and told us that we had to jump off the boat and swim in between these karsts and then climb up and that would lead us to the beach we would be staying at. Once you got in more shallow water, there were sharps rocks beneath you and you had a rope to hold on to and pull yourself up. It was quite challenging because there were huge waves beating at you.
The beach that we spent the night on was the beach from the movie "The Beach!"
We got to witness an amazing sunset and then at around 10:30 that night they told us to go into the water to see all of the glowing plankton. It was pretty neat. There was the most beautiful clear sky that night that was jam packed with stars. The only downfall of the evening was when we heard and saw big rats scurrying about on the beach. Needless to say we didn't get much sleep that night!
This sign was quite comforting if you can imagine!
After an early morning and a quick breakfast, we loaded our stuff on the long tail boats and they took us back to the island. From there we got on a boat and headed to another island; Koh Lanta. Again we didn't have too much time to spend here, but it was still a lovely place.
Koh Lanta is an extremely small island. Cailin and I rented motorbikes to drive down the coast. To drive the whole length of the island only takes about an hour. It was a gorgeous ride. I had to look twice when I passed a couple on a motorbike and I noticed that the woman in the back was breastfeeding her baby! Now that is multi-tasking! I have seen some absolutely insane things that these people do with motorbikes. You see 3 to 4 people on one motorbike all the time. You also see very small, young children being held on to by one hand, with no helmut.
This next picture shows their quaint little gas stations for motorbikes!
Again....it was so comforting to see these signs all over!
I had to stop to refuel!
Cailin and I became quite comfortable on a motorbike.  I now have a small obsession for them and wish that it would make sense for me to have one back in South Dakota....but I just don't think the weather would permit it!



No comments:

Post a Comment