Thursday, June 24, 2010

Trouble with a capital T and that rhymes with V and that stands for VISA!

While we were on our travels we heard about a bit of political unrest in Bangkok...we weren't too worried until we got back and things started getting worse. The riots were getting more intense, more people were getting injured and dying....and I was getting nervous about my safety! For a minute I contemplated coming home...because I didn't want to be around if things DID get really bad. I was assured we were safe in Singburi, but I still felt that I needed to make some emergency evacuation plan just in case. I got a bit nervous when I started seeing policeman everywhere. I realize that you should feel safe with policemen around...but I was more concerned with the fact that I hadn't seen one the whole time since I had been in Singburi so why were there so many around now! Following are some pictures from what was going on in Bangkok...and what made us nervous about the stability of Thailand and the situation.
Admist all of this I realized something terrible....that my visa was expired! Not okay! I immediately panicked and did some surfing online to see what would happen and what I needed to do. Everything I was reading was NOT helping my anxiety! I read, you have to leave Thailand pay a fine and you can't come back in for 3 months...or....you will get arrested and jailed...neither of those sounded good! One of the nights that I lay awake panicking...I woke up early in the morning and I looked at my clock....and found a bit of comfort because it said 6:06!  I made a plan with James and Pat at school and supposedly had everything figured out. I would have to do a visa border run to Laos! It was just going to be a quick trip so I wouldn't miss much school. I was quite nervous to do this adventure on my own...but....off I went! James was also nervous for me because he decided to make me these huge note cards to get me exactly where I needed to go! Thank goodness I only had to use a few of them!
I was most nervous when I got to the Thai border. The whole way there when I had to get on a mini bus, to the train to a bus...there were policemen everywhere! I had a nice couple help me along the way. When I got to the border this Thai lady who spoke English went with me to talk to the man about my expired visa. RELIEF!! I only had to pay a fine and I was on my way! I would come to realize that this was the least of my problems! I had checked and double checked to make sure I had all the paperwork and documents I needed to get my working visa. When I got to the front I was told I was missing one document. They only accept applications until noon so by the time I would be able to get it from the school it would be too late...and then I was told it takes one day to get your visa (not the 2 hours like James and Pat told me!)...because it was Thursday that meant I wouldn't be able to get my application in until Friday and then have to wait until Monday for my visa! Initially I wasn't even planning on staying one night and now would be staying 4! I had been to Vientiane, Laos before and knew there wasn't alot to do. There was a great storm one afternoon and I happened to catch this guy taking a shower with the rain water coming off the roof!
So I waited patiently and enjoyed some alone time and on Monday at 1pm I was finally able to get my visa! Oh happy day! I then hopped on the night train and headed home!
I met a lady on my travels who I found out lives and works in one town and her husband and kids live in a different town. Ann, one of my thai translators at school is in the same situation. She lives and teaches in Singburi, but her husband and 2 year old child live in Lopburi. I have heard of this a few times before so it must not be uncommon here. I don't think I could do it. I don't understand how you could be away from your family like that but it seems that they do it here to make things work. Maybe good jobs are few and far between and so this is a sacrifice they make in order to be able to provide for their families. I don't think that is a sacrifice I could make. That has to be hard. Family means everything here and I have come to realize that the Thai people go to great lengths for their families. I think that is a quality to be sought after.
Our 2 thai translator teachers and one other thai girl, moved into our house with Cailin and me. I was excited about this because I thought they could help me learn some Thai and maybe teach me to cook a bit! I soon came to find out that once they got home from school they went in their rooms and didn't come out! The 3 girls shared 1 room and I felt guilty when I saw in their room that all they had were these little mats on the floor for beds! Maybe that is what they are used to but I couldn't imagine sleeping like that! It's the simple things in life like a good bed and a good toilet that I have come to realize that I take for granted!

1 comment:

  1. important documents and foreign countries cause a lot of stress! glad you figured everything out!

    ReplyDelete