Sunday, June 27, 2010

The uniqueness of Thailand...

This entry might be a bit of scatteredness and randomness....but for those who know me best....this is just my style! When we came back from break I noticed that one of my students, March, had shaved his head. The director of our English Program overheard me saying something to him and she told me that in Thai culture when you have a parent or grandparent die, the kids or grandkids become a monk for a short period of time, like maybe 3-14 days. All over in Laos, Vietnam and in Thailand I have noticed that when I am in a store (it doesn't matter what type of store), that I get followed around by the workers. I'm not sure if they don't trust me and think I will steal something or if they are just trying to be helpful!
I was standing inside our house one afternoon and I heard this sound and I immediately got dejavu. I ran outside and looked to the field right across from where we live to find a swather! It looked a bit homemade, with lots of different colors gadgets, but it looked like it still did it's job!
While I was in Laos for my border run I decided to get a massage to help me relax! This was the first time I've had a massage where they started with washing my feet. It is a very humbling experience to have someone wash your feet. I'm not sure if I have mentioned how kids grades K-6 here have to have their hair cut short; boys and girls. They also wear uniforms. I know this would never fly in America because we are too individualistic and about personal freedoms but I think it's a good idea because it would solve the problem of is kids making fun of each other and judging others because of their clothes or hair style.
After two incidences at school, I now stick my head in the bathrooms before I go in! As I was walking in one day I saw a lizard (not a nice small little gecko!), that was about a foot long, scurry across the floor! Then about 3 days later I saw a lizard in the waste basket. I was not pleased!
Lunchtime at the school is a bit with 2000 kids at the school. The set up for lunch time at school is a bit different than what I was used to back home. Right outside the classroom there are 2 or 3 big tubs of food, a stack of plates and a container with silverware. The teachers dish up for the kids and then they go and sit at their desks in the classroom to eat. After they are finished they go and wash their own silverware and plates.
I had to go to the hospital to get a check up for my work permit. While James and I were waiting, I noticed that there was a live "band" playing some music. I asked James if this is a common occurance and he said that they are there to help with the mental health or wellness of the patients. I thought that was an interesting concept because I am a firm believer that music can help soothe the soul!  While riding home from school later that day, I pulled up next to a guy on a motorbike who I happened to notice was carrying a live chicken under his arm! Didn't know if he had just bought it or was on his way to sell it!
We finally made our way to the Singburi weekend market. It was insane! There were masses of people everywhere. Also, there was a plethora or people set up with little stands lining street after street selling anything you can imagine. Most of it looked second hand but I do like and believe in the statement that one man's trash is another mans treasure! The people here use things, parts, anything and everything until they have absolutely exhausted every use! I believe we can learn from that.
The Thais eat alot of their fruit with this mixture of sugar, salt and crushed red pepper. It's an interesting combination but it is quite tasty because it gives all of your taste buds a treat!  I saw a few interesting things at this market. I always catch myself feeling bad sometimes for taking pictures. I don't ever want to offend someone. The things I take picture of are very normal, everyday things for the people here and I would hope that they don't think I am judging them by taking pictures. I found a stand that had some delicious insect treats! (And NO, I didn't have the guts to try any!)

I couldn't help but take a picture of this next couple things! I'm sure I have said this before but I just cannot bring myself to eat something that still looks like what it is!
While walking through the market I saw a mother and a very small child/baby laying in the middle of the road/walk way asking for money. I also passed by a man that was laying down in a very busy part of the market in the middle of the walk way and he had a little jar for money.  These situations always make me uncomfortable because I never know what to do and I feel like giving them a little money isn't making a difference at all. It reminded me of this workshop I went to at the Mennonite World Conference where a man from Africa was saying that they don't like to just receive money from people because it doesn't teach them anything; it teaches them to be dependent.  He said that it makes more of a difference if you help those people become self sufficient, independent and give them life skills. I believe there is a statement that goes "Don't just give a man a fish; teach him to fish." It's not just about the giving of our money...it should be more about giving of our time, effort and talents.

No comments:

Post a Comment